THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 12, 2009

What defines a Man..

Theo, if you're reading this, you're right dude.. After the pain and aches somewhat disappeared, I feel like the MAN. I made it.. to hell over 3000 feet above sea level and live to tell the tale..

Through treacherous hills I've climbed,
Through sharp thorny bushes I've surged,
Through ladders i conquered..
Up Mount Santubong I ventured..




The trip began like all trips begins with the sparkle of the sun on your face and a grin of utter excitement. With bags packed and laces laced, we ventured through a small entrance by the road side and began the climb.





Started with pace alike a pro, with Theo leading the way and within the 1st 10 minutes, I felt my lungs cringed and tighten up and there you go, hell has broke lose. A climb that would take 6-7hrs to and fro and all it took was 15 minutes to suck up all the juice I've packed up the night before at the dinner table.



By the time, I was practically huffing and puffing and in no time, I started my whine and dine and Theo and Roger, started their "look at Ian's face.." and "Ian you can do it *grin*".



Not like it actually helped but it did get me up there somehow. Speaking of Roger, he's like a monkey and I'm not shitting you. Seemed like its in his veins to yaknow skip through the roots and bushes with no effort whatsoever, I didn't see him break a sweat.



Kevin however's a shower-head, yaknow the one with puny puny holes in them and heck, he was sweating as fast as he's drinking like a direct entry and exit protocol. Man that guy could sweat. He'd sweat enough to keep an family alive.




Well looking at the brighter side of the story, the view on the way up and at the summit was awesome. Simply majestic. Words can't explain it, its like seeing another world and the view was partly my motivation up. When the going gets tough, you'd have to hold on to the little things. Somehow it worked. Met a few people on the way up, there was this group from West side of Malaysia, pretty friendly people and err, a group of 40 year old who probably whack my fat behinds time and time over, I kid you not they're one fit bunch of hags.

We managed to make it to the summit after 3hrs and 15minutes of hell which was a very good time on my count, around 15minutes ahead of the suggested time according to the signboards. Confidence was sky high until! We had to climb down..






This is where it all went wrong, Kevin fell of the ladder once and I tripped on roots and vines God knows how many times. The way down wasn't tiring on the breathing side but man does it strain you concentration and worst of all the thighs. The climb down ruined my Reebok shoes too, but its pretty insignificant.. I hate those shoes anyways.



On the way down, ladders was the scariest but not as hard as it seems. Some of the ladders are 2 stories or so high and a fall could buy you a ticket up to meet the boss. Well, made it through the ladders safe and sound, then come the rooted trail and this is no walk in the park either.




The trail down was steep, and toes-cracking steep and I fell, maybe 3-4 times. After about and 2hrs downhill, fatigue and impatience kicked in. Things started turning sour, pain was overwhelming. My knees were trembling by then and was about 2hrs from civilization. Water went out by then too and slowly from joint aches, I got a headache. Dehydrated which packed in the misery.


The worst thing of this all is that the view that motivated me on the way up, turn its back on and me and whack me in the head. On the way down, the view looked so high. Every glimpse look as though, you haven made any progress. It always looked so far from the finish line. I was slowing everyone down and those guys really did me some good with their motivation.



Then all of a sudden, I see this. My little piece of heaven. Somehow or rather, I made it. I MADE IT! Wanted to signify the momentous occasion but I could bend my knees to kiss the ground but when its all said and done, I conquered Mount Santubong and IN YOUR FACE if you think a fat man can't do it. Cos I did~ =D


Till next time people,
Chaos the maos (I had to use it Carey)

10 comments:

- Alfred - said...

try mount kk next time =)

Ianzz said...

LoL..that ah.. i think need intensive training 1st..this one.. oredi can say i died

Chun Hoe said...

haha,hey i experienced the same thing as u during my gunung gading trip after my spm but it was cool once u finished everything u've started.

E-Han said...

Wah.. so gay!

err..sorry..

WAH..SO MAN~!!

Ianzz said...

Chun Hoe: Yeah man.. haha.. I've never been to gunung gading..equally as bad? haha..

E-Han: LoL.. i will try harder next time.. we shud go one daY!

Chun Hoe said...

mine's easier compared to ur's (>.<),went the next day after my spm.i'll try mount santubong one day.

Anonymous said...

why put none of my pics?!?! like i din go like that!

next up... mt.KK. should be a piece of cake since its just hiking. this one was way more challenging i reckon! =D

Ianzz said...

Chun Hoe: haha.. good good.. cos i probably will never ever do something like santubong again..too painful

Theo: LoL.. cockynyee.. i'll go work out and tag along =D

Tracy@莲 said...

no need mount kinabalu 1st.. you can try the canopy walk at hot spring~~ ^^

Ianzz said...

haha.. I rather go mulu =D ..can relax walk..den go chalet sleep =D